Saturday, June 19, 2010

First Two Weeks

Now that we are approaching the three week mark of Carter's birth I figured I would do a quick blog about how these first two weeks have gone. Carter was born on a Tuesday and we were released from the hospital on that Friday. The day Carter was born I was so surprised and shocked at all of the family members that came out to see him. We felt very special that we had so many people there to support us. I just remembered rolling down the hall after my surgery to go into the recovery room and seeing close to 12-15 people. And there was even more through out the day!! Definitely felt very loved! It was amazing to have my parents there at the hospital everyday, all day. It can be very boring just hanging out in a small recovery room all day. Granted I did have my sweet angel and the love of my life with me, but I couldn't get out of bed to do hardly anything those 4 days. Seriously there is only so much basic TV you can watch (I think we watched a lot a of Family Guy and Office, that's all that was on). So it was great having visitors.

Coming home never felt so good, just to be in my own bed...AMAZING. Reality set in that this is my son! I am responsible for this little guy all day everyday. It's so great that Chris works from home to help out. We share the responsibility of changing diapers, feedings etc. My doctor told me to take it easy so Chris was so helpful, but not because he had to. You could really tell he wanted to be involved and do everything. I'm so lucky to have him in my life and the father of my son. Surprisingly our first night at home with Carter wasn't too bad, however he seemed to not really like his bassinet. I was so bummed at first cause I love that bassinet it's so cute. We had so many people coming by to see Carter, I swear that kid was never put down. Someone was always holding him. So of course when it came time for him to go to bed in his bassinet he wouldn't sleep. He always wanted us to hold him. By Sunday we put our foot down and told everyone they have to put him down when he's sleeping (plus that was the last day we had a ton of guests until the next weekend). By Monday night he was sleeping in his bassinet just fine, only waking up for his feedings every 3 hours! Chris and I decided before he was born to switch nights off, this way one of us will get descent sleep every other night. It has worked out really well!

After all family left that Sunday, we were finally on our own for the first time. I'm not going to lie I was bit scared. It must have been nerves, because when Monday came it felt fine. Through out the week it just felt routine, as if we had always done this. Granted it wasn't easy but it wasn't hard either.
I really love doing tummy time with him. He didn't do much at first and I didn't know if I was doing something wrong. So of course I start reading up on it, because I feel the need to look everything up. Apparently I was doing alright with him being just a few days old. They aren't supposed to do much. Then out of nowhere Carter rolls onto his back, TWICE! 9 days old and he's rolling. I noticed he had his right arm stuck under him, and I guess he wasn't happy about it. Next thing I knew he swung his legs around and BAM he was on his back. He hasn't done it much since, maybe two more times, but I was amazed. I have a feeling I will have those moments of amazement a lot and I can't wait!!!

Today is a very special day. Not only is it Chris' first father's day, it's also our first wedding anniversary. This has truly been the best year of my life. One year ago I married the love of my life, bought a beautiful home last August, found out we were pregnant in October, then of course welcomed Carter Michael into our lives this June! I feel truly blessed and have an amazing family!




I love this bassinet so much, I'm so glad he finally decided to sleep in it.




1 comment:

  1. The first few weeks are kind of rough. I had to sleep with Kylie and Blake on my chest for about the first month because they wouldn't sleep in their bassinet either. Eventually they did. That's good you are already getting good habits started with sleeping. If you haven't heard about it I HIGHLY recommend Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It is the most informative and helpful sleep book I have ever read. I swear by it!

    ReplyDelete